[nomenclature] systems language

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Thu Oct 14 10:17:54 PDT 2010

Am 14.10.2010 18:08, schrieb Ezneh:
> Paulo Pinto Wrote:
>
>> I would consider a systems programming language any language that you
>> can use to build operating systems, even if a little help of assembly
>> language is
>> required.
>>

> I would consider that too but ... Something goes wrong with this :
>
> http://www.jnode.org/
>

> On OS in ASM and Java only (99% Java) ... But Java is not categorized as a systems programming language.

Why not? What about this?
http://killerstuff.net/publications/device_drivers_in_java_paper_from_qnx.pdf

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.92.1892&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Someone else said that any language with pointers is a systems
programming language. So that makes C# a systems programming language or
for that matter Pascal.

For me, if you can write the majority of an OS in a specific language,
then you can use it for systems programming.

--
Paulo