New slides about Go

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Thu Oct 14 20:03:35 PDT 2010

Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> Seems a bad idea to force the overhead of that, but it should definitely be
> available as an option. Contrary to what Walter and Andrei seem to think,
> 32-bit systems are still very much alive and will be for quite awhile
> longer. Especially when you remember that there are more computers out there
> than just desktops and servers. (Ex: When is a phone ever going to need
> 64-bit? Eventually maybe, but certainly not anytime soon.)

16 bit processors died around 15 years after the introduction of 32 bit ones,
even for embedded systems. If history repeats itself, figure 32 bit ones have
about 5 years to go!

As for what phones need, 15 years ago, who'd a thunk we'd be using phones today
for internet browsing and playing feature movies? We were all simply enthralled
by a phone that didn't have a cord attached to it and fit in your pocket.

I came up with a really good virtual memory system for 16 bit code. The only
problem was, by the time I figured it out, the people that needed it had moved
on to protected mode with hardware vm.

I feel D will be better off preparing for the coming 64 bit tsunami.