New slides about Go

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Fri Oct 15 00:02:23 PDT 2010

Yeah, and I've done that. It doesn't work out as well as you say, nor is it that
easy. Problems:

1. You have to reimplement it for every platform and every memory model.
2. For some systems, like Windows, there are a wide variety of assemblers. They
all use slightly different syntax. Distributing an asm file means an *unending*
stream of complaints from people who don't have an assembler or have a different
one than yours.
3. Getting all the boilerplate segment declarations right is a nuisance.
4. Name mangling.
5. Next your asm code all breaks when you want to recompile your app as a shared
library.
6. Asm files are a nightmare on OSX.

A language should be there to solve problems, not create them :-)