automatic code examples in documentation

Tomek Sowiński just at ask.me
Fri Oct 15 16:49:06 PDT 2010

Andrei Alexandrescu napisał:

>> Let's drill down on this:
>>
>> /// The ultimate foo.
>> void foo();
>>
>> /// The test.
>> unittest { ... }

> From a ddoc perspective this should be the same as:
>
> /** The ultimate foo.
>
> The test.
> ----
> */
> void foo();

I see. That means unittests summarizing the whole of module's goodies would have to be
at the top, but that's passable. Otherwise it's a superb idea.

As I mentioned in bugzilla, it opens the opportunity to kill the unittest naming problem with
the same stone:

void foo();

unittest(owner) {
  Log.info("Testing " ~ owner.stringof ~ "...");
  scope(exit) Log.info("Testing " ~ owner.stringof ~ " complete");
}

The syntax takes after the out(result) contract. 'owner' is an alias to the preceding symbol.
The overall ROI looks positive, eh?

--
Tomek