Review on amazon.com

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 16 08:52:00 PDT 2010

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 16:44:07 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu

> TDPL received an interesting review on amazon.com from Philip R. Heath
> (http://tinyurl.com/2daz64k) which mentions among other things:
>
> "2. Good code examples - Core Java had fairly extensive examples, and
> readers could download the code. This is a great service to readers
> because the code compiled (for the most part) with no errors. I used the
> examples as a starting point to explore features and modify them the
> listings to see different behaviors and scenarios. The examples in The D
> Programming Language are sparse and not available for download."
>
> It turns out it would be trivial to make all of TDPL's samples available
> for download. Do you think this would add value?

Yes.  Also, considering that there have been many bugs found in the code
examples or that the compiler doesn't yet implement the features, this can
be fixed/conveyed in the downloaded version.

That makes me think -- if you had all the examples compilable in a
project, could the project also output the compliance level a compiler
has?  That would be a good metric to try every beta release against.  It
would also remind us of what does and doesn't work on a specific compiler
regarding TDPL.

-Steve