duck!

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Sat Oct 16 11:43:16 PDT 2010

On 2010-10-16 13:19:36 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu

> The problem with "adaptTo" is that, just like itoa or printf, it is too
> boring to have marketing value. I think the feature is going to be
> _big_. We can't leave a big feature to a name like "adaptTo". The New
> York Times won't have a headline like "adaptTo changes the name of the
> game".

It's risky in my opinion to bet that it's going to be a feature big
enough that everyone will remember what it means. Also, "duck" is a
misnomer. The commonly-accepted meaning of duck typing is basically
dynamic dispatch based on function names, and when the function doesn't
exist it's a runtime error. I bet you'll get a ton of negative feedback
for misrepresentation or deformation of the concept. That said, it
could bring attention, but perhaps not the kind of attention you'd like.

Programmers like automated things. That feature should be called "magic
adapters" or "cheap adapters" (or some variation of that) because it's
an adapter and it's magic/cheap, and people can search "adapter" and
immediately get hundreds of results explaining the concept. And the
function name could be "adaptTo", or "adapt" (or "magic" if you want it
to look funny).

And I think I agree with your arguments about "as" having problems.

> I'd go with the longer "ducktype". Length is not as important as
> evocative power and brand name!
>
> auto d = ducktype!Drawable(obj);

At this point, why not call it ducktape™. Now that's a brand name.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://michelf.com/