duck!

Leandro Lucarella luca at llucax.com.ar
Sat Oct 16 15:18:39 PDT 2010

Walter Bright, el 16 de octubre a las 11:16 me escribiste:
> Label it "adaptTo" and few will even notice it. Label it "duck" and
> people will click on the link to see what it does. It's important
> that people notice that D has these things, and "duck" helps with
> that.

Well, maybe I'm not people, but I wouldn't click on anything named duck.
And if you ask me, marketing is OK for a name product, but not for
writing source code. You are putting marketing in the wrong place.

I would hate to have to write meaningless code like:

auto wow = buzz!Word(cool);

> I've been in this business a long time, and while you'd think that
> programmers are above "what's in a name", we are just like everyone
> else. A catchy name gets results. Borland, for example, added a
> trivial and boring feature to their linker, called it "smart
> linking", and managed to get an unbelievable amount of hoopla from
> the computer press out of it. They did it again with another feature
> they called "zoom".

You are underestimating people, if your targets are morons, that's the
kind of people you'll get in the community.

> Which blog article would you click on? "Interface Adapter for D" or
> "Duck Typing for D"?

Probably "Duck typing for D", but why can't you name the function
"adapt", "adaptTo" or "as" and the article "Duck typing for D"???
The article is the right place to do marketing and use cool names to get
the attention, NOT THE CODE.

> "duck" is a great name for the feature. It's short & sweet, fits
> right in with the popularity of duck typing, stands out, isn't
> boring, etc. Heck, as proof, look at all the interest in this
> thread!!

What you're saying now is just plain stupid:

1. A long thread generally indicated the presence of something
   controversial, not something good and accepted (those threads are
   usually short, or filled with just "+1").
2. You can just post "hi" in this NG and get a thread of thousands of
   messages ;)

I hate myself, I just keep replying when I know this matter is closed,
if both you and Andrei like something, is a dead end for any
alternatives...

Well, at least I will be able to say "I tried"...