duck!

abram abramw901 at no_robots.net
Sat Oct 16 22:55:07 PDT 2010

Walter Bright wrote:

> It reminds me of when a friend visited my house. After a very brief
> interval, he announced could tell it was a quality house, not a cheap
> facade. Intrigued, I asked him how. He said that the screw slots
> holding the wall plates on were all aligned the same way. It's a
> wholly irrelevant detail, added absolutely nothing to the function,
> but he said such attention to detail indicated the contractor cared
> about getting the details right.

That reminds me of many a house I considered buying: what's behind those
walls? Nuff said, but I'll go on. Are there rats in the cellar? Lead
pipes? Asbestos? Walls cover it all. Show me what's under those walls and
maybe you'll have a sale. Wait, that's the wrong "argument". Time out,
regroup.: I would not buy anything "glossed over" (ref: engine
compartments of cars people buy. Oh yes, they pressure wash them and give
them a coat of laquer!).