struct field alignment

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Oct 17 20:38:34 PDT 2010

Robert Jacques wrote:
> Although I have a solution that works well for me, the one thing I
> lament about not having a canonical D way of expression
> align(8)/align(16), even at only a meta-information level, is that if
> phobos gets a small vector library, I can't use it and conversely I'm
> not motivated to improve/submit my own small vector library to phobos.

I'm painfully aware that align(8)/(16) don't work on the 32 bit targets. I've
been reluctant to fix that because it involves some performance degradation
(keeping the stack so aligned requires the insertion of stack adjustment
instructions here and there).

With the 64 bit target, however, the C ABI will force the issue. It'll support
those alignments.