The Next Big Language

Jeff Nowakowski jeff at dilacero.org
Mon Oct 18 03:40:23 PDT 2010

> Java was big long before it was open-sourced, and C# is big in spite of the fact
> that its main compiler isn't open source and the one that is (Mono) is so far
> behind the main one that many people totally discount it.

Java and C# were pushed by big companies. Pretty much any other popular
language these days is open source.

> I really don't understand the complaints about the lack of an open source
> compiler for D, but then again, I've always been pro-open source and anti-free
> software (I think that the FSF is nuts, personally), so that may be why.

I really don't understand why you say you don't understand. You list the
reasons why open source is good. Not everybody has the luxury of
plopping down a $1000 for a compiler. People don't want vendor lock-in.
Open source is a popular movement, and you say you're pro-open source,
and you don't understand why D gets knocked for not being so?