The Next Big Language

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Mon Oct 18 06:18:36 PDT 2010

Yes, here is a summary of programming languages killer features.

C - The official language to develop for Unix
C++ - Provided a path for OOP programming to C developers, created at the
        same company that "owned" Unix
Pascal - Provided a very good way to learn structured programming
Perl - Was a the right place for mixing shell scripting and text
manipulation
Python - Started as a better Perl, Zope helped it get known, now used in HPC
to script applications
Javascript - If it wasn't for the browser it wouldn't be used at all
Ruby - Without Rails, people still wouln't care about it, most likely
Groovy - Provided a Ruby like programming environment for programmers in the
Java world
Objective-C - The official way to develop for iPhone/iPad (for sure it
counts more than just OSX)
Java - Oracle(Sun) and IBM give huge support to it. Plus the way it is used
in universities around the world
C# - Microsoft is making it the official .Net systems language
Scala - Seems to be the next big language in the JVM
Haskell, F# - Multicore is making functional programming more mainstream.
Plus Microsoft money.

There are probably more examples, that I have forgotten.

So the question is, what could the D killer feature be?

--
Paulo