The Next Big Language

Jeff Nowakowski jeff at dilacero.org
Mon Oct 18 07:01:24 PDT 2010

> I definitely think that it would be a plus if D had a fully-compliant, open
> source compiler, but I don't see its lack as much of a reason not to use the
> language. The compiler is free and freely available. As long is it does it's
> job, that seems good enough to me.

The point is that D is competing with many other "next big languages"
that *are* open source. Given the acknowledged benefits, D will
rightfully be dinged on that account. That doesn't mean it will
necessarily be a dealbreaker, but it is a big factor to take into
account, especially considering vendor lock-in. Having all your code
stuck in a proprietary language isn't a positive.