The Next Big Language

Denis Koroskin 2korden at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 09:14:17 PDT 2010

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 19:07:38 +0400, Don <nospam at nospam.com> wrote:

> Jeff Nowakowski wrote:
>> On 10/18/2010 04:59 AM, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>>>
>>> Java was big long before it was open-sourced, and C# is big in spite
>>> of the fact
>>> that its main compiler isn't open source and the one that is (Mono) is
>>> so far
>>> behind the main one that many people totally discount it.
>>  Java and C# were pushed by big companies. Pretty much any other
>> popular language these days is open source.
>>
>>> I really don't understand the complaints about the lack of an open
>>> source
>>> compiler for D, but then again, I've always been pro-open source and
>>> anti-free
>>> software (I think that the FSF is nuts, personally), so that may be
>>> why.
>>  I really don't understand why you say you don't understand. You list
>> the reasons why open source is good. Not everybody has the luxury of
>> plopping down a $1000 for a compiler. People don't want vendor lock-in.
>> Open source is a popular movement, and you say you're pro-open source,
>> and you don't understand why D gets knocked for not being so?
>
> The problem is that D is getting attacked _as if it were closed source_,
> which is completely untrue! The source code for ALL D compilers is
> freely available at no charge. closed source != !open.
>
> There are many, very strong disadvantages of closed source vs Open
> Source, but most don't apply to D.
>
> I see only two disadvantages with the DMD backend vs Open Source:
> (1) we carry the risk that something happens to Walter;
> (2) DMD cannot be included in Linux distributions.
>
> But since the front-end is GPLed, these apply only to the backend.
>
> It really seems to be a philosophical objection rather than a practical
> one. Or else based on a misunderstanding.

Those who complain about dmd not being open-sourced are those who didn't
try programming in D. Those who tried complain about dmd bugs.

We've just tried programming with a friend in pair in D, and after
spending about an hour trying to figure out the program misbehavior we
understood it was a dmd codegen bug (I'll submit a report shortly). He was
very angry and said "After so many years being in development this is
still a b.s. I will never touch this language again". I had nothing to say
other than I'll submit a bug-report and it will hopefully get fixed.