The Next Big Language

eternium swiftj19NOSPAM at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 18 10:50:43 PDT 2010

Yao G. Wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 13:08:45 -0500, Andrej Mitrovic
> <andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I think it was a rather superficial review of all the languages. Did
> > he even try any of them out, or did he just took a look at what
> > wikipedia has to say?
> >
> > Here's my comment
> > http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/dsdd6/the_next_big_language_2010_edition/c12k68w
> >
> > On 10/17/10, Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote:
> >> Discusses a few languages including D:
> >> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/dsdd6/the_next_big_language_2010_edition/
>
> Whenever I read a comment from that guy that post as eternium there, in
> reddit, I have a sense of déjà vu. The same exact passive-agressive stance
> with respect to D, the constant Walter/Andrei bashing, the ivory tower
> snark comment, the "people posting in the newsgroup are n00bs, idiots,
> fanboys"... Exactly the same comments as *someone* that post here, you
> know who. It gets more sad if you look at his comments history and see
> that like 80% of what he writes there, is just D bashing. At least he
> should post with the same user name in both places :)

Dear Mister Conspiracy Guy,

I added more original sources to my posts as per Your request. Seemed to work (already improved my reddit karma 3 units in short time). That particular ivory tower quotation came from someone here.

I also do mention good things:

"Switching from C/C++ to D may improve your productivity in many cases." <- http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/dm9gh/whats_your_next_programming_language_and_why/c11czh9

"The D's type system supports immutability in a fine-grained manner. It makes all kinds of optimizations possible. This system is impressive, and I have no reason to believe that it wouldn't bring performance benefits in the future." <- http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/dm8n8/the_many_faces_of_d_slides_pdf/c11d248

"Finally, I'd like to thank you very much for listening. I like D and I wish it a bright future." <- http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/944gh/the_d_language_metaprogramming_language_is_d/c0bec00

Sometimes the rants hit the nail in the head (wasn't this fixed recently):

"You could at least set the executable flag for the Linux binaries to improve user experience. Many would appreciate that and it's trivial to do e.g. with the Linux version of zip." <- http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/9zqj0/the_state_of_d_programming_is_this_situation/c0f8wym

May I ask Your reddit nick? Couldn't find any Yao G. there.