The Next Big Language

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Oct 18 15:03:07 PDT 2010

On Monday, October 18, 2010 14:40:37 Rainer Deyke wrote:
> On 10/18/2010 07:18, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> > So the question is, what could the D killer feature be?
>
> The power of C++ template metaprogramming, without the horribly
> convoluted syntax.

LOL. After using templates in D enough, C++ almost feelings like it doesn't have
them (particularly since it lacks static ifs and template constraints). I'm
_far_ more likely to use templates in D than C++. D's metaprogramming is
definitely a fantastic feature. Unfortunately, a lot of the programmers I know
tend to react negatively to templates (probably primarily due to how nasty they
can be in C++), so sadly, it can be hard to sell powerful templates as  a _good_
feature to some folks. I quite appreciate it though. Certainly, if you try and
sell D's templates as a feature, it's their ease of use which would have to be
pushed. In some respects, C++ templates just give metaprogramming a bad name.

- Jonathan M Davis