Tips from the compiler

Rainer Deyke rainerd at eldwood.com
Mon Oct 18 15:08:06 PDT 2010

On 10/18/2010 02:44, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> - Warnings A: For things that are likely problems, but are acceptable
> temporarily (and only temporarily), ie, until you're ready to make a commit:
> Always on, nonfatal.
>
> - Warnings B: For things that may indicate a problem (and therefore are
> useful to be notified of), but may also be perfectly correct: Normally off,
> but occasionally turn on to check.
>
> - Warnings C: For things that may indicate a problem, but take a significant
> amount of processing time: Normally off, but occasionally turn on to check,
> possibly as a background cron job.

I'd really like to see a system that's not based on turning warnings on
and off by type, but on hiding known warnings and only showing new
warnings.  Warnings of type B are only a problem because you see the
same set of warnings each time you recompile, and this obscures the real
(new) warnings.  If you could explicitly mark individual type B warnings
as expected, there wouldn't be any need to ever turn the entire category
off.

Rainer Deyke - rainerd at eldwood.com