[challenge] Limitation in D's metaprogramming

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Mon Oct 18 17:07:16 PDT 2010

I don't know if others have noticed this before, but I think I've found a
notable limitation in D's metaprogramming potential: There doesn't appear to
be a way to have mutable global state at compile-time.

Challange:

Create two..."things"...they can be functions, templates, variables,
mix-n-match, whatever. One of them increments a counter, and the other can
be used to retreive the value. But both of these must operate at
compile-time, and they must both be callable (directly or indirectly,
doesn't matter) from within the context of any module that imports them.

This is an example, except it operates at run-time, not compile-time:

-----------------------------------
// a.d
module a;
int value=0;
void inc()
{
    value++;
}
int get()
{
    return value;
}

void incFromA()
{
    inc();
}

//b.d
module b;
import a;
void incFromB()
{
    inc();
}

//main.d
import a;
import b;
import std.stdio;
void main()
{
    inc();
    incFromA();
    incFromB();
    writeln(get());
}

The goal of this challenge is to define a global-level manifest constant
enum that holds a value that has been incremented from multiple modules:

enum GOAL = ????;

It can, of course, then be displayed via:
pragma(msg, std.conv.to!string(GOAL));

At this point, I'm not concerned about order-of-execution issues resulting
in unexpected or unpredictable values. As long as a value can be incremented
at compile-time from multiple modules and used to initialize an enum
manifest constant, that satisfies this challenge.