[challenge] Limitation in D's metaprogramming

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Mon Oct 18 17:54:50 PDT 2010

"Jonathan M Davis" <jmdavisProg at gmx.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.715.1287449256.858.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...

> One word: monads.
>
> Now, to get monads to work, you're going to have to be fairly organized
> about
> it, but that would be the classic solution to not being able to have or
> alter
> global state and yet still be able to effectively have global state.

Oh yea, I've heard about them but don't have any real experience with them.
Any FP experts know whether or not monads are known to be constructible from
purely-FP building blocks? I always assumed "no", and that monads really
just came from a deliberate compiler-provided hole in the whole purity
thing, but maybe I'm wrong? (That would be quite interesting: constructing
impurity from purity.)