The Next Big Language

Rainer Deyke rainerd at eldwood.com
Mon Oct 18 19:44:42 PDT 2010

On 10/18/2010 19:12, Walter Bright wrote:
> retard wrote:
>> I've many times wondered why techies become so emotional. Editors,
>> licenses, languages, operating systems, browsers, everything! force
>> them to choose sides. This kind of thinking forces them to keep the
>> train of thought inside a sealed box.
>
> It may not be emotional at all. Learning a particular language
> thoroughly takes *years*. You *have* to choose.

That depends on the language, I think.  C++ takes years to learn.
Python took me one month to reach full fluency.  There may still be
obscure corners of Python that I haven't explored, but they so obscure
that I'm unlikely to ever encounter them in normal programming.  They
don't matter.

Learning the associated libraries is another matter, but also largely
unnecessary in my opinion.  I just program with a reference manual in my
web browser.

Rainer Deyke - rainerd at eldwood.com