The Next Big Language

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Mon Oct 18 21:23:12 PDT 2010

Rainer Deyke wrote:
> That depends on the language, I think.  C++ takes years to learn.
> Python took me one month to reach full fluency.  There may still be
> obscure corners of Python that I haven't explored, but they so obscure
> that I'm unlikely to ever encounter them in normal programming.  They
> don't matter.

I've found when I learn a new language, I write it in the style of the previous
language I used, i.e. writing Fortran in C, writing C in C++, etc. It takes a
while for the idiomatic usage of the language to creep in. Until then, one
hasn't mastered it.

Oh, and the evidence is it takes 10 years to master C++. That's a pretty hefty
investment.