The Next Big Language

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Oct 19 01:32:24 PDT 2010

Peter Alexander wrote:
>> Unfortunately, a lot of the programmers I know
>> tend to react negatively to templates (probably primarily due to how
>> nasty they
>> can be in C++), so sadly, it can be hard to sell powerful templates
>> as  a _good_
>> feature to some folks.
>
> I think it has very little to do with the syntax (although it certainly
> plays a part).

I think it has a lot to do with the syntax. What templates do is actually very
simple, but in C++ that simplicity is buried in an impenetrable syntax. I wrote
a compiler for C++ templates, and I still have to look up the syntactic details
whenever I write a template.

> The real problem with templates (in my opinion) is that they require a
> higher level abstract view of programs that most programmers simply
> lack. I think this is the same reason why functional programming escapes
> the masses, and why C is still so popular.

Passing a type to a function is conceptually no more difficult than passing the
number 7.