[due diligence] std.xml

div0 div0 at sourceforge.net
Tue Oct 19 14:01:04 PDT 2010

On 19/10/2010 21:43, sybrandy wrote:
>> Well one obvious problem is you have to read the document into memory
>> first, which clearly isn't good enough for large documents.

<snip>

Nobody said anything about DOM, and the current std.xml doesn't in
anyway support a DOM implementation.

That's a whole 'nother ball game.

For my money supporting DOM is not and should not be a goal for phobos;
DOM is irrelevant for the basics of XML data handling.

> Of course, I personally would love to just let XML die and use better
> data formats, but that's an unrealistic dream :)
>
> Casey

Damn straight. XML is a fugly crap format.

But too many people have invested too much in it; and these days it is
pretty much the defacto standard for a lot of data interchange and a lot
of 'file formats' so ignoring it isn't really an option.

.NET gives good support for XML out of the box and if phobos is going to
have XML, it should do at least as well as the .NET implementation or
it's not going to be realistically usable for serious use.

I don't think we need to go as far as XSLT, but XML 1.1 and Namespaces
is a must.

--
My enormous talent is exceeded only by my outrageous laziness.
http://www.ssTk.co.uk