approxEqual() has fooled me for a long time...

Don nospam at nospam.com
Wed Oct 20 03:57:11 PDT 2010

Lars T. Kyllingstad wrote:
> (This message was originally meant for the Phobos mailing list, but for
> some reason I am currently unable to send messages to it*.  Anyway, it's
> probably worth making others aware of this as well.)
>
> In my code, and in unittests in particular, I use std.math.approxEqual()
> a lot to check the results of various computations.  If I expect my
> result to be correct to within ten significant digits, say, I'd write
>
>   assert (approxEqual(result, expected, 1e-10));
>
> Since results often span several orders of magnitude, I usually don't
> care about the absolute error, so I just leave it unspecified.  So far,
> so good, right?
>
> NO!
>
> I just discovered today that the default value for approxEqual's default
> absolute tolerance is 1e-5, and not zero as one would expect.  This
> means that the following, quite unexpectedly, succeeds:
>
>   assert (approxEqual(1e-10, 1e-20, 0.1));
>
> This seems completely illogical to me, and I think it should be fixed
> ASAP.  Any objections?

I'm personally pretty upset about the existence of that function at all.
My very first contribution to D was a function for floating point
approximate equality, which I called approxEqual.
It gives equality in terms of number of bits. It gives correct results
in all the tricky special cases. Unlike a naive relative equality test
involving divisions, it doesn't fail for values near zero. (I _think_
that's the reason why people think you need an absolute equality test as
well).
And it's fast. No divisions, no poorly predictable branches.

Unfortunately, somebody on the ng insisted that it should be called
feqrel(). Stupidly,  I listened. And now nobody uses my masterpiece
because it has a totally sucky name.