blog: Overlooked Essentials for Optimizing Code

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Wed Oct 20 11:53:21 PDT 2010

On 10/20/10 10:59 CDT, retard wrote:
> Wed, 20 Oct 2010 14:59:21 +0100, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
>
>> I don't mean to offend anyone, but if you [sic] CS degree (at least
>> for the last decade or so), doesn't teach about points 1 and 2 above as
>> part of core curricula, then it's a pretty crappy CS degree. The same is
>> probably also true for other related degrees (*-engineering, maths), at
>> least with regards to point 1.
>
> This reminds me of
>
>> That is funny. Now and then you and Andrei talk so confidently about Go,
>> C#, Haskell and other D competitors, without having written more than a
>> couple of lines in those languages.
>
> Walter also talks so confidently about CS degrees, without having earned
> one. The experiences probably stem from his caltech times with the smelly
> bearded hippie unix guys who wrote bubble sorts in some deprecated
> assembler dialect.
>
> This is becoming a real problem. I gave an example of Scala fairly
> recently. I've given examples of code in other languages earlier. So has
> bearophile. I can't ever assume that you guys study these basics. The
> discussion stays at this level. It takes enormous amount of effort to
> teach simple concepts. How many knows now what a monad is? It was
> discussed again recently.

I think you are making a good point, and that the best way to realize
its potential is to contribute more concrete ideas and artifacts that
can be integrated within D to the extent possible. It's one thing to
discuss monads, it's another to demonstrate how threading a monad
through a pure D function achieves something that couldn't have been
achieved otherwise.

Andrei