blog: Overlooked Essentials for Optimizing Code

Peter Alexander peter.alexander.au at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 01:02:34 PDT 2010

On 20/10/10 2:59 PM, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
> I don't mean to offend anyone, but if you CS degree (at least for the
> last decade or so), doesn't teach about points 1 and 2 above as part of
> core curricula, then it's a pretty crappy CS degree. The same is
> probably also true for other related degrees (*-engineering, maths), at
> least with regards to point 1.

I don't really think of CS that way. To me, CS is to practical
programming as pure math is to accounting, i.e. I don't think CS should
be teaching about profiling because that's what software engineering is
for. They are two different worlds in my opinion. If you wanted to get a
practical programming education and you took CS then I think you took
the wrong degree.