A summary of D's design principles

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Thu Oct 21 07:15:19 PDT 2010

> A coworker asked me where he could find a brief document of D's design
> principles. This was after I'd mentioned the "no function hijacking"
> stance.
>
> I think it would be a great idea if the up-and-coming
> www.d-programming-language.org contained such a document.
>
> Ideas for what it could contain? I know we discussed this once in the
> past, but couldn't find the discussion.
>

> Andrei

(recapitulating something that popped in the middle of a discussion a
while back) :

* D aims to be suitable for medium and large sized software projects. In
other words, it aims to scale well with increases of: developers, source
code, software components, project duration, teams, third party
components, etc..

I don't think this goal would actually influence D's design that much,
because if language changes and features are carefully designed, they
would rarely be detrimental to small scale projects in favor of medium
or large ones.
Rather, the big benefit of the statement above would be to reduce
certain wasteful discussions or comments that pop-up occasionally in
which someone proposes some "Pythonesque" change that might benefit
small programs but would be crap for medium/large ones.

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer