The Next Big Language

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Thu Oct 21 16:40:43 PDT 2010

Thu, 21 Oct 2010 19:30:50 -0400, bearophile wrote:

> retard:
>
> - "Complex integer types": Just L.
> - "Safety features": it misses integral overflow tests and static
> contract checking (and many other things done by C lint tools, etc). -
> "Evaluation strategies": "by need" was present, but I think it's now
> deprecated. - "Polymorphism": template template arguments are missing,
> they allow an almost-untyped form of higher order polymorphism.
>
> Some of those features aren't compatible with each other. In the end
> your list is not so useful, there are many other unlisted things present
> elsewhere, it can't be complete. Even Scala probably has some type
> system features unlisted there.

Yes, indeed. It was mostly intended to be a checklist of things one
should probably be aware of when designing languages. I promised to make
a larger one later.

The 'mutability' in the list should really be 'immutability'. The
conversion to html also wasn't perfect. Things like 'hygienic macros' was
supposed to be a nested subcategory of the 'by macro expansion'.. maybe
the meaning can be inferred from the context