Looking for champion - std.lang.d.lex

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Oct 21 22:04:14 PDT 2010

On Thursday 21 October 2010 15:12:41 Ellery Newcomer wrote:
> and how about
>
> 6. ctfe compatible
>
> ?

That would seem like a good idea (though part of me cringes at the idea of a
program specifically running the lexer (and possibly the parser) as part of its
own compilation process), but for the main purpose of being used for tools for
D, that would seem completely unnecessary. So, I'd say that it would be a good
idea to make it CTFE-able if it is at all reasonable to do so but that if making
it CTFE-able would harm the design for more typical use, then it shouldn't be
made CTFE-able. Personally, I don't have a good feel for exactly what is CTFE-
able though, so I have no idea how easy it would be to make it CTFE-able.
However, it does seem like a good idea if it's reasonable to do so. And if it's
not, hopefully as dmd's CTFE capabilities become more advanced, it will become
possible to do so.

- Jonathan M Davis