The Next Big Language

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Oct 21 22:55:19 PDT 2010

On Thursday 21 October 2010 22:42:47 Paulo Pinto wrote:
> I can get the same benefict from functional languages+generics, or dynamic
> languages.

lisp macros aside, I've never seen anything that could ever come close to D
templates in terms of their flexiblity and power for code generation. I'm sure
that some of their capabilities can be achieved in various ways with other
languages, but I've never seen anything come close. Adding string and template
mixins on top of them, and you've got some massive power and flexibility.

Now, it's quite possible that a language that I'm not particularly familiar with
can match that flexibility and power with features of its own, but I'm not aware
of any (save for lisp macros).

- Jonathan M Davis