d-mode for Emacs

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Fri Oct 22 22:50:10 PDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-10-20 at 22:24 +0100, Russel Winder wrote:
[ . . . ]
> Works for me.  I'll delay creating a Launchpad project and team, and
> establishing a Bazaar branch as the trunk until Andrei gives approval to
> the plan ;-)

OK, I created a project on Launchpad.
https://launchpad.net/emacs-d-mode.  There are currently two Bazaar
branches lp:~russel/emacs-d-mode/original and
lp:~russel/emacs-d-mode/emacs23 (which is a branch of original with the
Emacs23 hack -- which really needs sorting out and turning into a proper
fix.  I have made the emacs23 branch the trunk so lp:emacs-d-mode is the
Emacs 23 branch.

As I understand it Bazaar is the official version control system for
Emacs.

For the moment I am the owner of the project and the branches, so by
fiat have elected myself as the maintainer -- I guess I should amend the
mode source to reflect this.  I have though also created an Emacs D Mode
Maintainers team, so if others are interested in helping with this then
they can join the team and I can pass ownership of the project and
branches to the team.

If you are using Emacs and want to use this mode then you branch the
branch to somewhere on your filestore and put a link into your Emacs
modes directory:

        cd <some-sane-path-for-Bazaar-branches> ; bzr branch lp:emacs-d-mode Emacs-D-Mode
        cd ~/.emacs.d ; ln -s <some-sane-path-for-Bazaar-branches>/Emacs-D-Mode/d-mode.el .

replacing <some-sane-path-for-Bazaar-branches> with a valid path for
your system.  The first line works for all operating systems (assuming
you have Bazaar installed), the second line works on all the operating
systems I use.  This means Windows users are on their own!

So now the question is how to amend the various web pages:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DMode
http://www.wikiservice.at/d/wiki.cgi?EditorSupport/EmacsEditor
http://www.wikiservice.at/d/wiki.cgi?EditorSupport/EmacsDMode
http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?EditorSupport/EmacsDMode

to name but four, to reflect the fact that these Bazaar branches are the
master sources of the mode and not the text on the wiki pages?  Clearly
the mechanism is press the edit button and do the editing, what I mean
is what to do about agreeing what to evolve the content to?

I note that we need to begin a campaign to get D Mode into the Emacs
repository/distribution/etc.  I am going to propose that I volunteer
myself to do this as I am also involved with the Groovy mode and so I
can "kill two birds with one stone" by working to get both these modes
in.  Given that both modes are based on CC Mode, I propose to approach
the CC Mode maintainer and ask his advice.  Does this seem reasonable?

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk