What can the community do to help D?

Peter Alexander peter.alexander.au at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 08:09:37 PDT 2010

There have been threads about what the biggest issues with D are, and
about the top priorities for D are, but I don't think there has been a
thread about what the best things are that the community can do to help D.

Should people try to spread the word about D? I'm not even sure this is
a good idea. We all know that D2 is far from stable at the moment, and
getting people to try D in its current state might actually put them off
(first impressions are very important).

Should people try to help with dmd and Phobos? If so, what are the best
ways to do that?

Should people work on other D compilers (gdc and ldc in particular)? Is
this even possible without a formal language specification?

What else can we do to help? And what would we consider to be the *best*
ways to help?