Looking for champion - std.lang.d.lex

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sat Oct 23 12:44:30 PDT 2010

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> I don't see these two in tension. "General" does not need entail
> "unsuitable for subtle particularities". It is more difficult, but not
> impossible. Again, a general parser that takes care of the 90% of the
> drudgework and gives enough hooks to do the remaining 10%, all as
> efficient as hand-written code.

In general I agree with you, but that is a major project to do that and make it
general, efficient, and easy to use - and then, one has to make a D lexer out of
it. In the meantime, we have a lexer for D that would be straightforward to
adapt to be a D library module. The only decisions that have to be made is what
the API to it will be.