Looking for champion - std.lang.d.lex

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sat Oct 23 18:22:36 PDT 2010

"Walter Bright" <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:i9vn3l$bd1$2 at digitalmars.com...
> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> What's wrong with regexes?
>
> They don't handle recursion.

Neither do plain-old strings. But regexes will get you farther than plain
strings before needing to resort to customized lexing.

But I'm a big data-driven fan anyway. If you're not than I can see why it
wouldn't seem as appealing as it does to me.

In any case, if I have a chance I might see about adapting my Goldie (
www.dsource.org/projects/goldie ) library to more Phobos-friendly
requirements. It's already a fully-usable lexer/parser (and the lexer/parser
parts can be used independantly), with a complete grammar description
language and I already have misc related tools written. And it's mostly
working on D2 already (just need the next DMD because it has a fix for a bug
that's a breaker for one of the tools). So if I can get it into a state more
suitable for Phobos then that might end up putting things ahead of where
they would be if someone just started from scratch. The initial versions
might not be completely Phobos-ified, but it could definitely get there
(especially if I had some guidance from people with more Phobos2 experience
than me). Would Walter & co be interested in this? If not, I won't bother,
but if so, then I may give it a shot.