d-mode for Emacs

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 01:39:12 PDT 2010

Gour schrieb:
> On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 19:39:12 -0500
>
> Andrei> If that's feasible, sure! Does anyone know the right people?
>
> Afaik, it involves getting written & signed papers from all the
> contributors sent to FSF...iow, it's not so easy and therefore I
> believe that for now it's better to just create public repo as Russel
> has suggested below:

(...)

> p.s. Here is snippet from http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.php
> saying:
>
> <quote>
> Copyright issues when contributing to Emacs org-mode
>
> Org is made of many files. Most of them are also distributed as part
> of GNU Emacs. These files are called the Org core, and they are all
> copyrighted by the Free Software Foundation, Inc. If you consider
> contributing to these files, your first need to grant the right to
> include your works in GNU Emacs to the FSF. For this you need to
> complete this form, send it to assign at gnu.org, and tell the Org-mode
> maintainer when this process is complete. Some people consider this a
> hassle. I don't want to discuss this in detail here - there are some
> good reasons for getting the copyright registered, an example is
> discussed in this FLOSS weekly podcast. Furthermore, by playing
> according to the Emacs rules, we gain the fantastic advantage that
> every version of Emacs ships with Org-mode already fully built in. So
> please consider doing this - it makes our work as maintainers so much
> easier, because we can then take your patches without any additional
> work.
> </quote>

It's ridiculous that the FSF doesn't trust their own license (GPL) and wants to have the copyright
for any code in "their" software like GCC or Emacs.
How can they tell people that it's great to have open source software because you can share code /
use foreign code, as long as you follow the licenses, when they don't dare to trust foreign GPL code
themselves?

(PS: I *do* like the idea of open source and even the GPL - even though it's not appropriate for
everything of course.)