Quick question about target patforms . . .

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Mon Oct 25 11:56:17 PDT 2010

On 2010-10-25 12:31:47 -0400, bearophile <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> said:

> Michel Fortin:
>
>> That's why I changed course and abandoned my
>> bridge (the second in your list), working instead on making DMD
>> directly aware of the Objective-C object model. This way, you can have
>> extern(Objective-C) classes and use them as if they were D classes
>> (mostly), no wrapper class and no glue code necessary.
>> <http://michelf.com/weblog/2010/dobjc-dead-end-start-anew/>
>
> It's a cute idea, and I presume those binding are useful, but if those
> changes will not be folded back into the D language/compiler, then this
> idea may eventually die out.

My goal is to have something that can be folded into DMD.

If for some reason Walter decides against it, I can still build an
installer that downloads DMD, patches it, and then installs it. Minus
the patch part, I already have such an installer with D for Xcode.
That's plan B.

But in all cases, the first step is to make it work.

> And in my opinion this syntax is not very nice (but I remember why the
> attribute syntax was not used, so this may be an acceptable compromise):
>
> void getCharacters(wchar* buffer, NSRange range) [getCharacters:range:];

I'm not too concerned by the syntax, it's the easiest part to change in
the whole thing.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com