Looking for champion - std.lang.d.lex

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Tue Oct 26 03:47:24 PDT 2010

"bearophile" <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> wrote in message
news:ia6a0h$nst$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Nick Sabalausky:
>
>> I've taken a deeper look at Spirit's docs:
>
> I have not used Spirit, but from what I have read, it doesn't scale (the
> compilation becomes too much slower when the system you have built becomes
> bigger).

I think that's just because it's C++ though. I'd bet a D lib that worked the
same way would probably do a lot better.

In any case, I started writing a comparison of the main fundamental
differences between Spirit and Goldie, and it ended up kinda rambling and
not so just-the-main-fundamentals. But the gist was: Spirit is very flexible
in how grammars are defined and processed, and Goldie is very flexible in
what you can do with a given grammar once it's written (ie, how much mileage
you can get out of it without changing one line of grammar and without
designing it from the start to be flexible). Goldie does get some of that
"flexibility in what you can do with it" though by tossing in some features
and some limitations/requirements that Spirit leaves as "if you want it, put
it in yourself (more or less manually), otherwise you don't pay a price for
it."

I think both approaches have their merits. Although I haven't a clue which
is best for Phobos, or if Phobos even needs either.