Lints, Condate and bugs

Don nospam at nospam.com
Wed Oct 27 02:36:34 PDT 2010

Walter Bright wrote:
> Ellery Newcomer wrote:

>>> I don't think there's much value left for add-on static analysis tools.
>> I went to the trouble of modifying dmd to warn on unsigned/signed
>> comparison. It found me some bugs which probably would not have been
>> noticed otherwise. Did it produce false positives? Yes. Did that make
>> me wish I hadn't done it? Hell no.
>
> You might want to consider changing your coding style to eschew the use
> of unsigned types.

I would strongly support that. But it doesn't really work.
The problem is size_t. The fact that it's unsigned is a root of all
kinds of evil. It means .length is unsigned!!!
Personally I think that any creation or access to an object which is
larger in size than half the memory space, should be impossible without
a special function call. Providing syntax sugar for this incredibly rare
scenario introduces a plethora of bugs.