Looking for champion - std.lang.d.lex

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Wed Oct 27 15:27:44 PDT 2010

Wed, 27 Oct 2010 14:15:04 -0700, Walter Bright wrote:

> retard wrote:
>> I only meant that the widespead adoption of Java shows how the public
>> at large cares very little about the performance issues you mentioned
>> Java is one of the most widely used languages and it's also successful
>> in many fields. Things could be better from programming language
>> theory's point of view, but the business world is more interesting in
>> profits and the large pool of Java coders has given better benefits
>> than more expressive languages. I don't think that says anything
>> against my notes about algebraic data types.
>

> Choice of a language has numerous factors

I know that.

>, so you cannot dismiss one
> factor because the other factors still make it an attractive choice.

I don't think I said anything that contradicts that.

> For example:
>
> "the widespread adoption of horses shows how the public at large cares
> very little about the cars you mentioned."

I meant caring in a way that results in masses of programmers migrating
their code from Java to a language with those performance issues solved
(e.g. D). A layman can make general remarks from people switching from
Java/C++/C to "new" languages such as Groovy, Javascript, Python, PHP,
and Ruby. The people want "simpler" languages. For example Ruby has
terrible performance, but the performance becomes a non-issue once the
web service framework is built in a scalable way.