Lints, Condate and bugs

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Oct 29 04:03:20 PDT 2010

On Friday 29 October 2010 03:06:56 dennis luehring wrote:
> Am 29.10.2010 11:07, schrieb Denis Koroskin:
> > On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 11:58:56 +0400, dennis luehring<dl.soluz at gmx.net>
> > No one is talking about removing nullable references but rather adding
> > non-nullable types and making them default. You could still achieve old
> > behavior if it is needed (most proposed proposed syntax):
> >
> > Foo? foo = stuff.find(predicate);
> > if (foo is null) {
> >
> >       // not found
> >
> > }
> >
>  > No one is talking about removing nullable references
>
> sorry
>
>  > most proposed proposed syntax
>
> like it works in C# - but better because of "...and making them default."
> :)
>
> sound very similar to the long talked about "make parameters const per
> default" proposal - which is also still not there :(

Personally, I think that both would be horrible. Having const is great, and
having non-nullable references could be great, but I sure wouldn't want them to
be the default. In addition to that, however, having them as the default would
make porting code from other C-based languages a total nightmare - not to
mention it totally shatters the general principle that either C/C++ code is
valid D code with the exact same behavior it doesn't compile. That alone makes
making them the default untenable.

- Jonathan M Davis