Ruling out arbitrary cost copy construction?

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 29 10:15:09 PDT 2010

== Quote from Andrei Alexandrescu (SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org)'s

> Any tie-breaking arguments, I'm all ears.
> Andrei

Uh...How about that if people want C++, they know where to find it?  I think
familiarity to C++ programmers is The Wrong Reason (TM) to allow arbitrary cost
copy construction.  Furthermore, I don't see crufty old C++ programmers as being
more important to D than people from other backgrounds.  I see D users coming from
a variety of backgrounds:

1.  Crufty old C/C++ programmers.

2.  People who like dynamic languages but need more speed and ability to do
low-level work.  D is about the most flexible
close-to-the-metal/efficient/statically typed language out there.

3.  Java/C# programmers who want a language that isn't absurdly verbose.

4.  New programmers who don't have much already invested in any other language and
want something advanced, modern and w/o tons of legacy cruft.

The first **may** want eager copying.  The latter three almost certainly won't.