[nomenclature] systems language

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Fri Oct 29 12:54:03 PDT 2010

On 14/10/2010 13:30, Justin Johansson wrote:
> Touted often around here is the term "systems language".
>
> May we please discuss a definition to be agreed upon
> for the usage this term (at least in this community) and
> also have some agreed upon examples of PLs that might also
> be members of the "set of systems languages".
> Given a general subjective term like this, one would have
> to suspect that the D PL is not the only member of this set.
>
> Cheers
> Justin Johansson
>
> PS. my apologies for posting a lame joke recently;
> certainly it was not meant to be disparaging towards
> the D PL and hopefully it was not taken this way.

It's those programming languages whose type systems can be used to move
and navigate across water (but can sink if you rock it enough). Compare
to other languages whose type systems merely floats on water, but don't
move anywhere... (although some guarantee they will never sink no matter
how much you rock it!)

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer