GCC 4.6

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Sun Oct 31 09:01:32 PDT 2010

Sun, 31 Oct 2010 16:48:47 +0100, Simen kjaeraas wrote:

> Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:
>
>> I can certainly understand the impossibility of actually keeping up
>> with bearophile, but I don't think that even he expects that every idea
>> he brings
>> up be rushed into D.
>
> Yeah, I always see bearophile's lists as 'maybe some of this could fit
> in D at some point'. Well worth having on the list, but not to be
> regarded as The Bearer of Absolute Commandments. That said, I fully
> understand that Walter could get more tired of it than do I - I don't
> feel the pressure.

Bearophile often compares DMD to world class products such as LLVM. Even
though Walter might be the best compiler writer in this world, he can't
compete with a motivated team of professionals. The Intel C++ compiler,
GCC, and LLVM teams are simply much bigger and well paid. Same things
with DMDScript vs Google's Javascript engine. It's almost impossible to
compete with these big teams. If you need performance, you probably use
these tools instead.