Marketing D [ was Re: GCC 4.6 ]

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun Oct 31 14:23:49 PDT 2010

> Some (arguably rhetorical) questions:

I know you said "rhetorical" but I can't help chiming in on some of them
anyway ;) Some of these below may sound, umm, "troll-ish", but they really
are my honest opinion:

>Why did Google push Go rather than use D when they became
>dissatisfied with C, C++, etc.

Some of what they've said seemed to indicate lack of awareness of D (at
best). Other than that: (Speculation): Google NIH, and the Go developers
believing the same thing they've gotten other's to believe: "Go's made by
Google and by the same people that made C and Unix (forty fucking years
ago), so it HAS to be great!"

> Why don't ThoughtWorks use Go and D, but push Clojure and Ruby?

Never even heard of ThoughtWorks.

> How come no recruitment agent cares about D experience (or lack of it)?

Speaking from direct personal experience with those people, recruitment
agents and others in HR are among the dumbest people in the world. They
believe and disbelieve things randomly, presumably based entirely on neuron
misfires. I actually had one tell me "I don't know anything about
programming, but I'm very good at identifying people who are good at it."
What a fucking moron. Clearly, this person's real-world worth is about
$0/yr, but some dipshit actually chose to hire and give that useless excuse
for a member of society both responsibility and a paycheck. (Which makes two
useless-moron HR people.)

> Or put another way why do companies just use C and C++
> even ion the face of better alternatives?

I'm sure inertia is a big part of it. Another big part is what I said in my
reply to Walter: most people are too stupid to realize that big companies
don't know what the hell they're doing. Or put less contentiously, they've
fallen into the widespread misconception that business environments are more
conductive (rather than less conductive) to creating good software than
smaller informal ones.

> I really would like to see D get some serious traction, but to be honest
> with the way things have and continue to go, I have doubts. Can I be
> proved wrong?

PHP is a piece of shit language made by bedroom coders and no corporate
backing, but it managed to take over the whole damn web. I'm starting to
think the problem D faces with adoption is that it *doesn't* suck. If it
did, people would probably be all over it.