GCC 4.6

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Oct 31 16:02:13 PDT 2010

retard wrote:
> Sun, 31 Oct 2010 14:01:02 -0700, Walter Bright wrote:
>> Another interesting factoid is that I've been told "you can't possibly
>> do that" from the experts before I wrote the first line of the C
>> compiler right up to today. Retard's comments are typical.
> Take a look at GCC now. Take a look at LLVM. Compare with DMC. They both
> generate better code than DMC.
> I simply have no reason to use DMC

You do if you want to run on Windows. LLVM won't work on Windows. Or use DMC if
you want to get your compiles to run in a reasonable length of time.

DMC has often been at the forefront of compiler optimizations. Did you know it
was first (on the x86) to do data flow analysis? First at named return value
optimizations? First to do instruction scheduling?

> (or DMD when LDC and GDC implement the spec well enough).

I think it's great you have a choice of 3 good D compilers. I find it strange,
though, when I then hear the complaint there's no 100% GPL version of D.

> I agree the human resources follow the law of diminishing returns.
> However those resources help in so many ways. You can hire marketing
> people, web designers, document writers. D has improved so much after the
> community was allowed to take part in the development. DMD would suck
> badly if Don didn't help you. I don't know how my comments are typical. I
> base my claims on established facts and real world experiences with D.
> The optimal number of developers surely isn't one.

Your comments are typical in that I've been told for nearly 30 years now that I
and the people who work with me cannot produce a competitive compiler. Yet we
have and do. I'd have never accomplished anything if I listened to such loser
talk. I've made a good living ignoring the constant stream of experts telling me
I can't do it.

I remember one journalist who was always telling me that he'd seen the next
release of Microsoft's compiler, and that it would put me out of business. The
release would come, and there'd be no decline in sales. So what did he do? He'd
say "yeah, ok, but the next one will surely destroy your company!"

The world is full of losers and loser talk.

And yes, I wish I could clone Don.