Marketing D [ was Re: GCC 4.6 ]

SK sk at metrokings.com
Sun Oct 31 20:38:51 PDT 2010

On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 6:29 PM, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:
> I don't agree. There's very little, almost no, D specific support in the dmd
> back end. It's a C compiler back end. Nearly all the work is done in the
> front end, which should be little more than a cut & paste job for LDC and
> GDC once they are already up and running with the front end.

As a casual observer of D, I've wondered in the past: why isn't D2 and
the D community in general already using LLVM's backend by default?
Seems that compiler back-ends are full of nitty-gritty details and
relatively unglamorous work.  This post makes me think there is
nothing in the way, so why not just rally around LLVM and spend the
time savings on more D-centric issues?