[Slight OT] TDPL in Russia

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisprog at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 12:35:01 PDT 2010

On Wednesday, September 01, 2010 12:15:24 Walter Bright wrote:
> Someone once told me that "capitalism doesn't support the arts". I asked
> him how the Beatles got rich. Oops!

Capitalism is going to tend to support what is generally popular or what is
popular with the affluent crowd. Anything that doesn't fall in either of those
categories isn't necessarily going to do well. So, the artsy stuff that appeals
primarily to artsy people isn't necessarily going to do well. The Beatles
managed general popularity, so capitalism supported them just fine.

Music and movies are huge industries. Capitalism definitely supports them.
However, if you're dealing with less well-known, less generally-liked stuff, then
capitalism isnt't really going to support it. Of course, arguably, that's for
the better, since if it doesn't do well that means that it's not something that
the majority supports, but there is good stuff out there that never becomes
particularly popular or successful. However, since art is generally in the eye
of the beholder, there will always be people unhappy with how it gets handled
regardless of the economic system in use.

> There's a subgroup of the theater crowd around here who regard producers as
> "sellouts" if their plays actually attract an audience.

I hear that this sort of thing tends to happen with Indie artists as well. There
are fans who like them until they get popular. I guess that there are people who
_like_ it when the stuff that they like is niche.

- Jonathan M Davis