[Slight OT] TDPL in Russia

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Sep 1 12:45:26 PDT 2010

"Jonathan M Davis" <jmdavisprog at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.35.1283369617.858.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
> On Wednesday, September 01, 2010 12:15:24 Walter Bright wrote:
>> There's a subgroup of the theater crowd around here who regard producers
>> as
>> "sellouts" if their plays actually attract an audience.
>
> I hear that this sort of thing tends to happen with Indie artists as well.
> There
> are fans who like them until they get popular. I guess that there are
> people who
> _like_ it when the stuff that they like is niche.
>

>From some interview I read awhile ago, that's what happened to the band
Green Day (Not that I'm a big fan or anything, but they're not bad). Their
first couple albums were very indie, got moderate sales, and gained a strong
cult following. Then they put out the "Dookie" album, and got better
promotion from their label, and it was a big mainstream hit. The old fans
actually got pissed at them for that and labeled them "sellouts". Apparently
that was a big part of the motivation behind the songs on their following
album, "Insomniac" (but most rock lyrics never make any sence to me anyway,
so it's not like I can actually tell).

(Moral of the story: People is stoopid.)