Bug 3999 and 4261

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Sep 1 13:07:24 PDT 2010

"Jonathan M Davis" <jmdavisprog at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.38.1283370572.858.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...

> You can think of it a bit like static. Static is used for different things
> in
> different contexts (even though most contexts are quite similar - IIRC,
> there's a
> way to define static in C++ which fits all of its uses in C++, though D
> adds some
> more that don't fit that definitition), but it doesn't really cause any
> confusion.
> enum is the same way. Sure, from the standpoint of language purity,
> manifest
> constants shouldn't be declared using enum, but the reality of the matter
> is
> that it works just fine.

Static is a little bit better in that the uses of it at least have some
connection to the dictionary meaning of "static", even if perhaps a little
distant. But there's just no way to stretch the dictionary meaning of
"enumeration" to include manifest constants. Like everyone else, I can at
least live with it, but I look forward to the day the linker issue is fixed
so we can finally mutilate/destroy/kill it, dead, dead, dead with extreme
prejudice in favor of immutable. It's a stain - doesn't really cause a
problem, but boy is it ever UGLY.