Bug 3999 and 4261

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisprog at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 13:50:59 PDT 2010

On Wednesday, September 01, 2010 12:59:01 Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Jonathan M Davis" <jmdavisprog at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:mailman.33.1283368612.858.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
>
> > Personally, I don't really care about using enum the way it is. Having
> > enums
> > freely converting to and from their base type is more of a concern,
> > though I'm
> > not sure how much that really does or doesn't matter.
>
> I find it to be a pain nearly every time I need to convert one to a string.

I wasn't even aware that there was a way. If I had to guess, I would assume that
it involves stringof, but I'd have to try it. Now, assuming that that's the
case, it would be pretty easy to write a template function which takes the enum
type and the value to stringify, and it returns the string version of that enum
value (or throws if it's not a valid value for that enum type). I can see how
having it as a distinct type would be more desirable for that though, since then
you could likely just use stringof on it directly.

- Jonathan M Davis