Bug 3999 and 4261

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Wed Sep 1 14:12:04 PDT 2010

On 9/1/10 15:35 CDT, bearophile wrote:
> so:
>> Another taste discussion?
>
> Nope.
>
> -----------------
>
> Steven Schveighoffer:
>> And I think if you have an idea to try and "fix" it, you might as well know now, it will never happen.<
>
> There I was explaining something better to Daniel Gibson. The purpose of the enhancement request 3999 has nothing to do with a request for a different keyword.

> I think now I have presented my point as well as I can, and people have given comments and opinions. I'd like to Walter or/and Andrei to express their opinion about the bug 3999 :-)

I think it's a good enhancement. C++'s good old enum has been
instrumental in finding a few bugs and clarifying a few interfaces in a
project at work. Based on that experience I'd say that there's a chance
more restrictive is better. We need to find a principled way to define
semantics though - if we disable comparison it really means we're
disabling implicit conversion.

Andrei